MetaCom offers a contemplative place in the olive grove near the sea, where seminars, conferences and educational trips on changing topics take place.
MetaCom’s target audience
- Those in search of a universal ethic and spirituality.
- Those working on current topics in creative fields such as music, crafts, dance, video/film, etc.
- Those involved in organic farming and who are interested in preserving the diversity of the biosphere.
- Those with a strong interest in nature and humanity as well as technology.
MetaCom aims at being a platform for the exchange of ideas, especially in the realms of
- Sence of life;
- health, nutrition and preventive medicine;
- ecology, ecological building, alternative energy sources and life cycles;
- the creative arts.
The MetaCom site
MetaCom is situated in the quiet setting of Anidri, a small village with cafe-bar, on the south coast of Crete in the midst of a traditionally cultivated landscape (intended as a future nature preserve) 1,5 km. from the sea and 3,5 km from the tourist centre of Paleohora with its sandy beach, supermarkets, open-air-cinema, coffee houses and shops.
The site of MetaCom was planned according to landscape architecture and ecological criteria, including:
- a traditionally designed landscape with natural stone walls;
- the construction of a wooden framework with mud/straw filling, clay plaster and earthen roofs;
- a three-chambered sewage treatment plant with reed bed
- utilization of active and passive solar energy
- Drinking water filter
The site is composed of
- 2 guesthouses, each with 3 double bedrooms + bath and central kitchen. Bedclothes and towels are provided.
- 1 wooden house (16 m²) with seperate toilet and hot shower in bamboo field.
- 1 clay house with 25m² Apartment, 2 small (5,5m²) single rooms with balcony, 1 outdoor kitchen and 1 bath room.
- 1 tipi with separate outside shower.
- 1 seminar room 50m² with elastic floor, small kitchen and bath, air-condition (cooling + heating) and 80 m² terrace, 16 yoga – mats, 16 spelt – meditation – cushions, 20 blankets, 6 massage couches, 1 Thaimassage – mat, 9 Djembe drums and chairs and tables for 24 persons.
- breakfast, half board, full board on request
MetaCom’s technical facilities consist of
- Internet access, A DSL Broadband
- Video – projector, DVD
- HiFi-equipment (double CD-player (mp3), Mixer inside + outside sound system)
- Walking and hiking in the surrounding areas
- Dolphin and whale spotting
- Jin Shin Jyutsu
Mario Sommer, born 1951
Born and raised in Berlin. After completing a degree in electrical engineering at Kassel University, he opened a chain of Hifi-Video shops in the Ruhr district. Several visits to Crete convinced him to sell his shares in his business in 1991 and settle on the island, building a house and making ‘Metacom’ a reality.
Maria Lanser-Sommer, born 1966
Qigong teacher (IQTÖ, DDQT), Qigong instructor (IQTÖ)
Jin Shin Jyutsu practitioner and self-help teacher